This outing to an art gallery is the last Relief Society event I'll be attending in Guernsey.
There were just three of us, then Alan joined in. He's been in the hospital for weeks, so it was great to see him again. He's got cancer three different ways and yet they are treating him as an outpatient now. I really don't get it.
The last district meeting was held at the elder's flat.
It's a good thing the picture is blurry since their place was a bit messy.
This is a poor example, but I've been trying to take a picture that illustrates how cars, trucks and buses routinely drive up on the sidewalk. The roads are so narrow that when a truck or bus meets anything, they use the sidewalk as part of the road.
Probably our last time at our favorite sandwich shop. They didn't have my usual so I tried their special. It was turkey and stuffing on a baguette with cranberry sauce. Not bad.
Bill's usual ham and cheese.
Then and Now
I've always been fascinated with then and now photos. Here are two examples with photos from the occupation museum and current photos of the same place.
This is 1940 when the Germans first marched into St. Peter Port to a silent and resigned audience.
Most of today's shoppers on High Street are oblivious to the history around them. Notice the CCTV in the upper right; they're everywhere. You may as well smile because you're on camera.
We often pass by the White Hart Hotel across from the seafront.
1 comment:
I, too, love then and now photographs. I'm fascinated by how little changed from 60 years ago there - wow! You are doing great to document your 'lasts'. Those pictures will be treasured once you are home. I remember your pictures from your first few weeks in England - different foods & signs in stores, funny street signs, etc. Those items probably seem 'normal' to you now :)
Post a Comment