Saturday, October 6, 2012

Castle Cornet

We chose a more civilized activity for our outing this week. Our castle-visiting days are drawing to a close, so we figured we'd better visit this one that is so close to St. Peter Port.


"Castle Cornet is Guernsey's ancient harbour fortress, which was isolated upon a rocky islet, until the construction of a breakwater and bridge in the 19th century."







The castle has a medieval inner core surrounded by more "modern" construction.


British Troops garrisoned in the castle


We often hear the noonday cannon when in St. Peter Port.

“From at least the early years of the 19th century a gun was fired from Castle Cornet at noon and another at 21.30 to recall soldiers of the garrison to their barracks – the Curfew gun. The Noonday Gun ceremony in Castle Cornet was re-introduced as a visitor attraction in 1974. The gun is “fired” using a saluting charge of approximately 25 grammes. The charge is placed twelve to eighteen inches down the barrel of the gun and detonated electrically.”






There are several lovely gardens within the castle walls.



This pigeon was sounding off about his secure home in the wall.

The Prisoner's Walk--not much chance of escape while exercising.


See that ferry? That's the one we'll be taking as we leave Guernsey on October 31st.




1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

I liked seeing the pigeon in the look-out space in the castle wall. I thought those spaces would be bigger, gave me a better perspective. What an amazing place! I think my favorite picture is of the Prisoners' Walk...I'm wondering if I could make one of those around the outskirts of our property so I know the kids aren't wandering off, but they can get plenty of outside air & exercise :)

Post a Comment