Saturday, July 30, 2011

An Interesting Coinidence

This morning (Saturday) we rode the bus to Bromley to shop. I had the camera with me and as we were in the front of the double decker bus upstairs, I took the opportunity to snap a few photos of ordinary sights that in years ahead will bring back memories. It’s often the common things that become precious as the years go by.



The vendor with the old photos was at the Saturday Market as I’d hoped. I’ve perused his offerings before and I really wanted to buy a vintage photo of this area as a souvenir of our time in England. Nothing much from Downham where we live, but there were some of Bromley and I picked out one and bought it. I couldn’t really identify where it was taken but it said High Street which is what they call a main street.


After we got home and I examined the old photo more closely I got to wondering if one of the photos I had taken that morning might be in the same area. I could hardly believe it when I looked at one of my random shots. It’s almost exactly the same spot.


Nobody uses those big awnings anymore but the sign sticking out and the buildings themselves are the same!

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Wow! Did the old picture happen to have a date on it? I noticed the horse and buggy and the old lampposts in the old photograph... Pretty cool that the sign on the left is still there. In America, we would've "updated" the sign 50 years ago. I love that it is still hanging - it means the same business is there, too!

Post a Comment