Saturday, October 29, 2011

Our New Flat

We've been living in Brighton for 10 days now and have settled in for the most part. We still have a few things to buy, like chairs. It's sort of like playing house: nothing is real. The flat has new carpet and paint, so we're doing our best to keep it clean. Shoes come off at the door.


The red circle is where our balcony is hiding behind the leaves. You can put our postcode in google maps and get a similar view with street view. BN18QQ


My favorite part is the view of the park across the street. This morning we explored it again and found some ponds. Fun!


The kitchen is small but has a lot of storage. Some of it is beyond my reach, so a step stool is on our list of things to buy.


I had the kitchen mostly put together when I found another drawer! The one under the dranboard is functional. All the sinks I've seen over here come with the drainboard attached.


It's been a long, long time since I've cooked with gas. Now it strikes me as barbaric to have an open flame in the house. But it sure is faster than electric.


People here are amazed when we tell them how large refrigerators are in the U.S.


Now for that strange thing on the stove. It's a grill and I haven't had the courage to try it yet. Incidentally they call a stovetop a hob and the oven is a cooker.


This is the hot water heater. It's gas-fired and also heats the water for the radiators. How can anything so small do that? The ad for the flat said it had gas central heating. That phrase means something quite different here from what we were thinking.


Bill said I could have the whole closet in the larger bedroom and he'd use the one in the small bedroom. Wow, it has these built-ins so I don't need a dresser at all.


I even have a place for cosmetics, etc. and an outlet for my curing iron.


We bought some furniture at a charity shop. Bill had to remove a door to get it into the lounge (livingroom) but it made it. He said when it leaves it'll be by being thrown over the balcony.


We're still using those green plastic chairs at the table while we look for something better.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

I really enjoyed the pictures of the kitchen. I thought a fridge was a fridge was a fridge. I should've known we Americans super-size everything, fridges included! Your mission is very educational for me :)

Post a Comment