Recently we did something from my (Carol) “bucket list” which is to visit St. Pancras Old Church in London.
My gg grandparents were married there in 1846 and their four children were all christened in that church.
After we got off the tube, we walked to the site while it rained like crazy. Bill had his umbrella but it’s hard to get two walking people under it. Besides, this is London--it's supposed to rain.
We entered the grounds and I was transfixed by the site: mature trees with majestic old buildings, one of which was the old church. It has potted plants around the entrance including a couple of small Palm trees. Yes, Palm trees can grow in this climate.
We weren’t able to go inside, but it is still being used as a church. I couldn’t help but wonder if the Parker children played amongst the headstones or around the grounds. Did they enter through that heavy old door?
Click on any photo to see it larger.
Nearby is the "Hardy Tree"
Thomas Hardy had the task of removing these headstones etc. when the railway was expanding onto part of the churchyard. Quite a sight!
1 comment:
Fascinating. What a wonderful journey for you. I was grateful for the prompt to click on the pictures - I was just wishing I could see more detail when I scrolled down and read that. This gives me such an itch to delve into our family history. Thank you for these wonderful posts!
Post a Comment