Friday, August 5, 2011

Don't Answer the Phone on Saturday Night!

Last Sunday all four missionaries spoke in church. It was one of those Saturday night phone calls. But since there were four of us nobody had to talk very long and it wasn’t too hard to come up with some ideas.

When we were first in the ward we were asked to introduce ourselves in Sacrament meeting. I mentioned that if we seem a bit slow in responding it’s because we’re mentally translating what they say into our language. (a few laughs) Even some of the phrases are different. I mentioned that I had recently read something about a dog’s breakfast and said someone will have to explain that to me. (laughs) After I sat down a sister nearby whispered to me that it means to make a real mess of something. I’ll remember that.

This time I was a little more serious in my talk and chose service to others as my topic. I quoted Alma at the waters of Mormon as he explained to those who desired baptism.

Their desire to “come into the fold of God” included a willingness to give meaningful service—to “bear one another's burdens, that they may be light,” to “mourn with those that mourn,” and to “comfort those that stand in need of comfort” (Mosiah 18:8-9). I said I noticed many acts of service as we were waiting for the meeting to begin: some of the elderly people being helped out of their cars at the door, also there was a deacon who helped an older sister as soon as she got to the the door by offering his arm. She smiled as they passed by and told me that “He’s my chap!”

Bill spoke about President David O. McKay and how toward the end of his life he made the statement that “I think I am finally beginning to understand.” We can all take comfort in knowing that even with his extensive understanding of the gospel and his experience in the Church that he was humble enough to realize that he could still learn and discover deeper levels of meaning. And that no matter where we are on the path, as long as we are making progress in the right direction, we will be fine.

This week was “moves” week. That means that some missionaries will be moved to other locations within the mission.

At the last district meeting the Elders made a chart on the board and made predictions as to who was moving and/or becoming zone leaders, etc.


I took photos of the Orpington Ward missionaries in case they got transferred, but they’re staying here until next time. We had three cameras going with self-timers. Click and run to get in the photo!


Elder McLane doesn’t look very happy. Let’s do it again.


Elder McLane didn’t make it at all


That's better!

We have gone with them on teaches but it seems that we’re the kiss of death. The people won’t be home or are sick or whatever if we come along. But when it works out it’s wonderful. The young Elders inspire me with their desire to serve the Lord and keep going even when events are discouraging. We hope to be like them.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Sounds like wonderful talks, especially for short notice! I also like the quote by Pres. McKay. It helps me feel that if I learn something each Sunday, than I'm on the right path :)
Also, great pictures with the Elders!

Post a Comment